If you haven’t yet heard about the massive IKEA recall you will, and it’s important that you do because your child’s safety could be at stake. After the most recent reports stating that six children have been killed by toppling unanchored furniture, the message is loud and clear: it is essential to anchor heavy furniture to the wall to protect our children. Mike and I discussed this last night and he made a great point: now that we know and we’ve discussed it we need to make sure everything is anchored NOW because it would be unbearable if we let something happen.
There are plenty of places for you to read about the recall and findings of this story, like here, so I’m just going to give you the nitty gritty of what you need to do.
If you do nothing else:
- Secure all furniture to the wall using the proper hardware for your wall type.
- Never put a TV or other heavy objects on top of a chest of drawers or any furniture not intended for use with a TV – and secure all TV’s to the wall.
- Place heavy objects in the lowest drawers.
- Never let children climb or hang on drawers, doors or shelves.
What To Do Now
- Walk around your house and look for ANY set of heavy drawers, bookcases, metal shelving, cubed storage, desks or tall coffee tables that could fall and cause injury. Initially I only had our IKEA furniture in mind as I counted up how many kits we would need, and I was amazed to see how many additional pieces of furniture I hadn’t considered before.
- For IKEA furniture, if it is in the MALM line or is on this list, you can get a free wall mounting kit by registering here OR call (866) 856-4532 to arrange to have the item removed from your home for a partial refund. My order said it would arrive by mail in 2-3 weeks, and was so simple to order.
- If it is NOT on the list of recalled furniture or it is not from IKEA you can order a set on Amazon Prime to arrive in 2 days. I liked these straps because they look sturdy, easy to install and come in an 8 pack. Or you can head to Target and pick up something like this.
- Carefully follow instructions to install and you’re done.
While you’re at it don’t forget to secure all TV’s to the wall as well! Hope this helps get this checked off of your to-do list!